Saturday, October 18, 2014

Today's card is a Future Hall of Famer~


Today's card comes to us from 2013 Topps Chrome. It's #180 in the set and with 220 cards total (and I have 9 of the remaining 40 logged into my Beckett Organize from a box break last year) we've got 31 more cards before the set is complete. "Gonzo" retired as one of the most prolific pass catchers for a tight end in NFL history and is assured a place in the hall of fame. This card captures his signature "dunk" move after scoring. Being a former basketball player, this celebration makes sense and surprisingly doesn't get flagged by the No Fun League. Tony retired at the end of the 2013-14 season and although teams have tried to lure him back it's certain that he'll be wearing the yellow jacket in 2019. I love the photography of this particular card and it looks a thousand times better than some of the garbage we see in Score and even Prizm, a brand that wishes it was Topps Chrome. I feel like if Panini did this card there would be no action shot, or if there was they would have photoshopped out the crowd in the background and written PANINI over and over again in large ugly font. The more I look at these chrome cards the more I think I'm going to miss this brand. Due to the fact that Panini will be the sole provider of football cards I think it will be wise to branch out my horizons to other sports as well. Be on the lookout for cards and sets from other sports in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment