Sunday, October 19, 2014

Today's card is an older one from my local baseball team


Today's card (and I'll have to add an image later) is #154 Charlie Hayes out of 1995 Ultra. This card pictures this prolific vet during his best years which were with the Rockies. He was part of the opening day lineup for the Rocks in April of 1993. I was lucky enough to see the inaugural home opener when the Rockies played their first MLB game here in Colorado. Charlie Hayes has had tons of cards produced for him but it's always cool to expand your horizons. This card comes to me out of a gigantic lot I purchased on Ebay of which I realized I'd never have the time or inclination to sell other than the most valuable pieces. It's going to be easier for me to just add these over time to my own collection. Looking through commons like this is sometimes more fun than breaking boxes as you get to learn about the history of the game, cards like these while overproduced aren't getting any younger and before you know it will become part of the vintage category. It's almost 20 years old right now and while I remember opening tons of these packs in the 1990's they will eventually get more rare. I'm not holding out much hope for value (and being a collector before a dealer I don't care that much) but they do honestly get more cool as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment