Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Today's addition Vintage style


Now this one's Really Really vintage compared to most of the cards I collect. I love the modern card but there is a certain appeal to holding a piece of football history like this in your hands. This is a 1948 Bowman Football card # 55 Frank Reagan RC who was a back for the New York Giants. This is considered his rookie card although the back of the card states he'd been in the league for 4 years. Back in these days they didn't go rushing out and producing 4,000 rookie cards a year for any given player. Before 1948 there were not any nationally recognized main releases for football so this is kind of a landmark set. This card is in good, but not great condition, pretty average for a card that is 66 years old. I mentioned in an earlier post that I had 10-12 of these cards and was trying to build a set but needed some quick cash so I ended up regrettably selling all of them. The thing I've noticed is that prices really aren't much more than they were 10 years ago on these cards, at least for the commons. The best card I had previously was a Steve Van Buren (HOF) rookie that was graded a SGCC 50. I'm not sure what those even go for any more but there are a few ungraded examples on Ebay as we speak. Cards are always replaceable except for the very rarest examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment